Remedies for Poison Ivy You Can Find in Your Kitchen
by Sarah Ganly
So you have been waiting all winter for spring to finally arrive so you can get in your garden, but after a long day of playing in the dirt you end up with a red blistery rash. Poison ivy, poison oak, and poison sumac are a huge kill-joy in the winter, but with a few household remedies you can be rid of the rash in no time.
1. Baking soda and vinegar can be mixed together into a paste. The paste should be applied to the infected area. A dry washcloth should be used to scrub the area thoroughly. When the paste dries rinse it off with cool water.
2. Oatmeal can be put in a bath in order to sooth the itch from the rash. It can also be mixed with hot water and used as a mask for the affected area. It will dry out the area as it dries.
3. Banana peels can be smeared on the infected area. The inside of the peel can be scraped and used, or the whole peel can be rubbed on the wound.
4. Dish detergent is another way to treat this nasty rash. Its degreasing properties rid your skin of the oils that are produced by the rash. This method also helps stop the spreading of the rash. Apply the dish detergent directly on the rash, let sit a few minutes, and rinse with cool water.
5. Watermelon is delicious and helps get rid of poison ivy. Take an entire piece rind and meat and rub it lightly over the rash. Let is air dry and the rash will lessen in a day.
6. Tofu may not be in everyone's refrigerator, but it can help heal poison ivy quickly. Just rub lightly over rash and let dry by air. The rash should be noticeably less the next day.
7. Regular table salt can also help with poison ivy. Add a little water to the salt and rub it on the rash. If the itching remains use the salt again. This may seem like it will sting, but it actually has a relieving feeling.
Poison ivy is the dreaded enemy of spring time gardening enthusiasts and nature lovers alike, but the terrible rash it causes can be stopped short with these simple home remedies. All of these cures can be found in most homes, and can be a great relief for those who have been subjected to poison ivy.